Friday, March 25, 2011

Review - My One and Only by Kristan Higgins



Publisher: HQN
Publish Date: 3/29/11
How I got this book: NetGalley



Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic. Harper can't help that Nick has come blazing back into her life in all of his frustratingly appealing, gorgeous architect glory. But in Nick's eyes, Harper's always been the one. If they can only get it right this time, forever might be waiting -- just around the bend.
*Blurb from Goodreads*



Higgins and I have an ongoing love/hate relationship. Some of her books are absolutely incredible and I can’t stop thinking about them for days and days after I’ve finished it. Others made me want to scream and wish I could erase part of my brain. I’ve found it very hit or miss with her. I have to say though, My One and Only was an absolute HIT for me!!

Harper is a divorce attorney, jaded with relationships and stuck headed out to a wedding for her younger sister and her ex brother-in-law! Taking her boyfriend along for the ride doesn’t help, especially since she keeps running into her ex-husband Nick. After a disastrous weekend, her boyfriend heads home as no longer her boyfriend and Harper is stuck in a car, road tripping across the country with Nick. Being stuck in a car together runs havoc on their relationship, but will they be able to admit that maybe they were wrong going their separate ways all those years ago?

One of my biggest beefs with Higgins’ romance books are that many times it feels as if the romance is so rushed. Many times Higgins focuses on the character development of the heroine, and when there is finally a HEA, it feels forced and rushed. With My One and Only, Harper and Nick have lots and lots of screen time together, and I love the progression of their relationship from enemies to friends to lovers.

There were times in this book when Harper got on my nerves. She as always so pessimistic and down, although Nick was able to lighten her outlook, there were times I felt like she was just too much of a Debbie Downer. I wanted to poke her to get her to smile at times. I’ve always been a fan of Higgins’ heroes, and Nick was no exception. I loved that he knew what he wanted and wasn’t afraid to go after it. He was a good old boy, old fashioned respectful and yet just so male. Every time he came onto the page I was engrossed in everything about him. For me, Nick really made this story come to life.

Harper’s relationship with Dennis, the sexy firefighter and boyfriend was a little weird to me. As someone who dealt with divorce on an every day basis, why she even wanted to get married to anyone was beyond me. There are times I cringe at the situations that Higgins’ heroines get themselves into, and Harper and Dennis’ relationship just happen to be one of those things. I enjoyed Dennis as a side character, but saw his relationship with Harper as something that just didn’t completely add up.

One of the things I love about Higgins’s stories is her ability to realistically portray families, in all their craziness. Harper’s family had me laughing and cracking up, and falling in love with them every moment. Her stepmom and stepsister were so funny, providing a light comedic undertone. And Harper’s father was great as well, reminding me of my grandpa who struggled to show emotion, but you knew instinctually just how much he loved you.


All in all, I give My One and Only 3.5 out of 5 cross-country road trips!

1 comment:

Tori said...

YEA!! We are twins. lol Dennis....dude.